We tend to make the exterior beautiful and eye-catching to spend a relaxing time with friends and family over the weekend without thinking much about the fencing. Usually, a garden fence is not on the bucket list, but you need to realise that garden fence ideas gives a refreshing look to the garden and keep away those peeping neighbours and intruders ruining your privacy. Fencing is no longer confined to marking boundaries but adds a unique landscape in the front and outdoor space.
Style and quality should go hand in hand when selecting the type of fencing material. There are various options like wood, metal, contemporary or traditional look. Garden fence ideas can do wonders for your outdoor space. We have shortlisted some of the best garden fencing ideas for your garden.
Points To Consider While Designing Your Fence
- Security – The purpose of installing a fence varies. For some, security is the prime criterion, whereas for others, it’s aesthetics. If security is the prime focus, opt for slat aluminium fence for complete privacy from neighbours or passersby.
- Maintenance – If low maintenance is your top priority, a vinyl fence is probably one of the best options to go with. Wood and metal also demand low maintenance, which can be kept clean merely by wiping with a clean cloth. But, vinyl wins the race of low-maintenance.
- Aesthetics – To add aesthetics, multiple options are available, such as pallet, picket, bamboo, willow and many more.
- Budget – This is one of the vital factors that allows or limits you with the fencing design and material. Creating a beautiful garden fence involves huge investment, so definite planning with the exact amount of buying material and installation is a must to avoid sudden cost escalation.
Garden Fence Ideas
There are numerous garden fence ideas to choose from in different styles and designs to suit your taste. Some of them are discussed in the following paragraphs for you:
Traditional Garden Fence Styles
- Wooden picket fences – Picket-style garden fencing will keep you and your plot connected to the outside world, inviting interaction with neighbours. The gap between the fences gives a glance at the beautiful garden while keeping away kids and pets from the vegetable patches. If you want more privacy, grow a hedge behind the garden fence or allow climbers to climb on the rails.
- Wrought iron fences – These designs are part of landscape designs that create a perfect boundary from a security angle while giving a glimpse of the home. Some of its functional features, such as low maintenance, can be painted in any colour of your choice, and keeps the pets and kids safe, making it an ideal choice.
- Vinyl fencing – One of the best substitutes for wooden fences if you want a low-maintenance, durable and affordable option. There are multiple options for vinyl fences, such as picket, lattice and simple vinyl fences.
- French Gothic Fence – These picket fences extend a unique look to the property exterior while keeping children and pets protected from strangers. These garden fence ideas can have a concave and convex shape adjusted to varied heights as per the requirement, with a spearhead top.
- Cottage Style Fence – The rustic-looking cottage garden fence exhibits a natural feel. Wicker is one type of fence used in cottage-style homes where flowers can tumble over the wicker.
- Cedar Privacy Fence Ideas – One of the affordable opaque fence designs used as fencing when privacy is the top priority. Cedarwood privacy garden fencing is recommended when natural building material is preferred.
Modern And Contemporary Garden Fence Ideas
- Horizontal slat fences – It is one of the easiest ways to transform a simple wood fence idea into a modern fence. Slatted designs make amazing patios and ensure more privacy. Grow tall, colourful plants around the fence for soothing and calm surroundings and to add more privacy.
- Corrugated Metal Fence – It is one of the opaque options for extreme privacy from passersby or neighbours. The only drawback is it makes the outdoor space appear small and unimpressive from the outside. The visual impact is slightly missing.
- Metal and wire mesh fences – Metal wire mesh fence is a great way to balance functionality and style. This fence keeps away critters and lets fresh air blow in the garden.
- Concrete and Block Walls – A precast concrete fence gives a stone look to the outdoor decor without spending on masons. Concrete is cast into various shapes, such as real-looking stone, wood, or brick. Its affordability and durability make it the favourite of many homeowners. The only drawback is that it requires many hands during installation.
- Vertical Garden Fence Ideas– A vertical wood fence with slight variation in the panel length adds extra touch making it visually appealing. To add a greenery element to the garden fences, attach mesh or wire to the fence to support the climbing creepers.
- Glass panel fence ideas – Glass fence is usually used in the pool area as a safety measure and to zone the garden area without compromising the charm.
Creative Garden Fence Ideas
- Bamboo fences – One of the vital materials used for outdoor landscaping to extend a natural look that perfectly blends with the greenery around. Uniform-shaped bamboo stalks are used to elevate the garden area look.
- Gabion walls – These are cage-like structures made from metal to hold rocks. It inspires many visitors and passersby to have one in their garden.
- Recycled materials – It’s nature-friendly, cheap, and the best-reused material to build a unique and beautiful garden fence. Keep an eye on reused material in your house or nearby areas to build a fence and showcase your creativity.
- Glass Bottle Fence – Can you imagine what a bottle fence would look like? It looks awesome. Start collecting colourful bottles! The process is simple- drill holes in the bottom of bottles and run rebar through them.
- Tire Fencing – A stylish edge can undoubtedly be created using old tires, elevating the look to a different level with its aesthetics. However, it won’t keep the pests and invaders away. Tire fencing will serve only the visual appeal and not functionality.
- Rustic Wine Barrel Fence – Another way of fencing using recycled material- wine barrels. Usually, wine barrels are made from oak, though the quality of oka differs. Wine barrel garden fence ideas extends a vintage look to the outdoor space. This rustic fence ideas adds a curb appeal to the outdoor decor.
Budget-Friendly Garden Fence Ideas
- Pallet Fence – One of the attractive, modern and cost-effective ways of fencing that keeps the property secure and your privacy too. These fences can be installed with limited construction knowledge. Many homeowners prefer pallet fencing due to its advantages.
- Reclaimed Wood Fence – This fence idea is a great way to pay tribute to recycled material. Create a unique fence using recycled natural wood and display your creativity and environment -friendly humane character.
- PVC Pipe Fence – Build PVC pipe fencing around the garden, walkway or backyard for a wonderful visual impact. It is sturdy, low-maintenance and easy to build.
- Plastic Bottle Fence – What an idea! Use the used bottles to create an amazing fence using some bamboo canes to support the bottles. Cut the bottom of the bottle to fix on top of another bottle and fix it in the bamboo canes line vertically or horizontally. These bottles can be used as a vertical raised bed garden, too.
- Living Willow Fence – Choose a moist retentive region with ample sunlight to build a willow fence. Buy willow rods based on the length of the fence and the space between the rods. Plant half of the willow stems in the ground, placing the second half of the stem between the diamond patterned.
- Modern picket fence -Create a backyard or front garden with a remarkable modern picket fence design. White picket fence undoubtedly looks splendid; however, colouring pickets in multiple shades adds to the aesthetics to create a difference.
- Cinder Block Wall – It’s a lightweight option for garden privacy. It’s durable, affordable and low maintenance. The only disadvantage is it cannot bear a heavy load.
- Salvaged Doors and Windows – Keep all the doors and windows no longer in use to be used as a fence. A rustic charm created in the garden is a marvellous way to make a functional, artistic garden.
- Tea light holder fence – Take the garden fence ideas to a new height of uniqueness with a tea light holder fencing idea. Use a jar-size holder and secure them on nails with a string. It looks awe-striking even during the daytime, which can’t go unnoticed.
Whether you have a big or a small garden, there are several garden fence ideas from wood, stone, vinyl and metal to suit your contemporary and conventional requirements. Opt for the material and style that perfectly reflects your choice and elegance because outdoor space is the first impression on the visitors and neighbours. So it should be the best.
What Is The Cheapest Fencing For Garden?
Vertical feather edge or closed board panels are the cheapest garden fence ideas options available in DIY stores. However, select these only if you plan to grow climbers on them to hide them, as these fencing options are aesthetically not pleasing.
What Is The Best Type Of Fence For A Garden?
The best garden fence ideas are one that suits your garden and preference. For example, for a modern garden, the best material would be stone, concrete and wooden panels, whereas for a traditional style garden, the best choice is timber or hedges. Opt for style and material to display your beautiful choice.
What Is The Easiest Fence To Maintain?
Vinyl is the best choice if you want a low-maintenance fence. The best thing is vinyl fences are durable and add charm, too. There’s no reason not to opt for a vinyl fence.
What Type Of Fence Lasts The Longest?
The best garden fence ideas in terms of strength are galvanised steel, which is long-lasting and can easily withstand extreme weather, wind and snow. A solid steel fence lasts longer than a hollow one, so select the materials considering all the factors. The drawback of these fences is they won’t add curb appeal to the garden.