Imagine – a perfectly cleaned and shiny bathroom designed with a beautiful interior, modern decor and a refreshing vibe. Everything looks great but there comes the soap scum. We all hate it. Don’t we? It happens to all. Nearly spotless bathroom spoilt by the dreadful soap scums. Soap scum or lime soap is the most annoying part of bathroom cleaning.
It can be stubborn and difficult to remove. You can find soap scum on shower glass, bathroom fixtures, shower curtains, floors etc. Removing this stubborn soap scum is difficult as it is, especially when it’s dried up on the shower door. But, don’t sweat, we’re here to help. In this blog, we will discuss some of the most effective ways to remove soap scum from shower glass to get that fine glossy finish.
What is soap scum?
If you are a designated cleaner of the house, you will know finding soap scum on glass is annoying. It is the saddest thing happening in the world of bathroom cleaning. Soap scum is the result of minerals mixing in water and soap fat. Soap scum contains not just the soap.
It is the white or yellow scale formed in the bathroom. It covers the walls inside your shower and tub. Sometimes, you may find soap scum on shower doors as well. Cleaning soap scum from shower glass immediately is important in such situations.
Soap scum is a mixture of calcium stearate and water mineral residues. These elements react with each other giving recurrent and permanent spots of soap scum on the shower glass panels. Similarly, as you know soap scum are water resistant, making it difficult to remove.
It is difficult to remove soap scum just with water and many standard glass cleaners. With time, It will become thick. It can cause a bad bath ring if it remains for too long. As we all know that a human can’t go without soap and bathing, let’s learn how to clean this awkward situation up.
The common issue of soap scum on shower glass.
Homes are now using shower glass to create space and enhance visual aesthetics. Glass showers are replacing the old curtain that attracts mildew and mold. It gives a rich look to your bathroom and is easy to clean. Cleaning the shower door is a must. One main disadvantage of clear glass shower doors is that any stain or residue will appear on them. It is important to clean shower glass regularly.
How to clean bathroom glass is often a question in our minds. So, without any more hiccups, let’s understand how to clean shower glass the right way.
Essential Tools and Materials
To remove scum from the shower glass, you’ll need:
- White vinegar: It has also been established that white vinegar breaks down soap scum. It will effortlessly wipe off soap scum on a glass.
- Baking soda: It makes a great natural scrub, baking soda. Cleaning the glass shower screen using baking soda.
- Spray bottle: For spraying and applying the cleaning solution, a spray bottle should be used. Using soap scum remover on such an area is easy.
- Scrub brush or sponge: Wash off the soap scum using a scrub brush or a sponge. Scrubbing is quite extensive because some soap scums can be very difficult.
- Microfiber cloth or towel: Wipe off remnants using a microfiber cloth or a towel. It will also make sure there are no traces of soap scum on the shower glass afterwards.
- Rubber gloves: Put on rubber gloves to safeguard your hands against the cleaners. This precautionary measure is essential when using vinegar in the cleaning of the shower screens.
- Water: For example, water can be used to dilute solutions and wash surfaces.
Step-by-Step Guide: Removing Soap Scum from Shower Glass
Steps to remove soap scum from shower glass:
- Use white vinegar: Addition of white vinegar in a spray bottle and spraying it on the surface helps clean soap scum off shower glasses. Vinegar’s acidity helps in cleaning off the scum marks easily.
- Combine with baking soda: Combine white vinegar and baking soda to make paste for scrubbing. Such components as calcium deposits are necessary for cleaning of the scums off the glass shower doors.
- Let it sit: Let the cleansing substance function and then scrub it. Leave the mixture to rest until it stops bubbling. After that, your glass soap scum remover is ready.
- Use a sturdy brush or sponge: Vigorously use a scrub on the shower glass for removal of the soap scum. The thick soap scum is very difficult to remove and may often call for hard scrubbing. .
- Repeat if necessary: Some areas may require multiple applications for cleaning scum off the shower glass thoroughly.
- Preventive measures: Regular cleaning glass shower doors can help avoid stubborn buildup.
Also Read How To Clean Grout In The Shower
Different Ideas to remove soap scum from shower glass
Several leading commercial cleaning solutions are now capable of breaking down and removing decades’ worth of soap scum. They are simple, efficient and handy. Scum cleaners from the store are one of the best ways to clean shower glass in Australia.
DIY cleaners are also the best way to clean glass shower screens. Removing soap scum from shower glass is now easier than ever. Add a cup of baking soda in a small bowl. Put enough white vinegar and form a paste. When it stops bubbling, apply the solution to tubs and showers with a sponge. Leave it there for approximately 15 minutes. Clean these surfaces one more time with a soft abrasive sponge, then rinse and air dry. Cleaning shower screens with vinegar and baking soda is one of the best shower glass cleaning hacks.
When cleaning a porcelain tub, you’ll need to take extra care to remove soap scum. You can try scrubbing off the pumice stone on your bathroom surface to remove soap scum.
Follow preventive measures:
After your bathroom is sparkling clean following all the effective cleaning measures, it prevents the build-up in the future. Clean the soap off when it’s wet rather than letting it dry down. You can keep a spray bottle filled with soap scum cleaner handy in your bathroom. Certain soaps are likely to create more soap scum than others. Avoid such soaps and opt for liquid soap or body wash.
Tips for Handling Stubborn Soap Scum
- Try citric acid, dish soap or lemon juice as a glass soap scum remover.
- Scrub with a non-scratch pad for effective results.
- You can even use a grease-cutting dish soap to clean glass shower doors.
- Rubbing alcohol can dissolve soap scum on the shower doors and dry quickly.
- Use steam Cleaning. It loosens and removes scum, especially in tight spaces.
These tips prove to be the best way to remove soap scum from glass.
To conclude, removing soap scum necessitates cleaning glass shower doors regularly. Not only will the frequent cleaning enhance the aesthetic appeal of your bathroom but it will also contribute to a healthier and hygienic space.
The modern-day shower glass setup comes with higher chances of unavoidable soap scum. These scums are built-up with time increasing the stubbornness and rigidity. There are multiple ways to remove soap scum from shower glass. Relying on over-the-counter cleaners can be a quick and easy method to remove soap scum.
There are homemade shower glass cleaner options available as well. By following these methods you can easily remove soap scum from the shower glass.
Will toothpaste remove soap scum?
Toothpaste may help remove soap scum but it is not as effective. Cleaning shower screens with vinegar is the best way.
What do the professionals use to clean shower glass doors?
Professionals often use commercial glass cleaners for removing soap scum from shower glass. They may sometimes also use vinegar-based DIY shower glass cleaning hacks.
How do I clean cloudy shower glass?
To clean a cloudy shower glass use a mixture of vinegar and water. It is the best thing for cleaning shower glass.
What is the best homemade shower cleaner?
A homemade cleaner with vinegar, baking soda and water is the best shower cleaner.
Does lemon juice remove soap scum?
Lemon juice’s acidity makes it a natural option to help dissolve and remove soap scum. Besides cleaning shower screens with vinegar, lemon juice can also clean scum off glass shower doors.