Having a charming backyard in Australia is part of the lifestyle because of the ideal weather conditions to relax and unwind in the outdoor living space. You would love to spend memorable moments with your friends and family in your beautiful and elegant yard. Enhancing the backyard is not always expensive and time-consuming. It can be done within any budget. In this article, we have covered some of the inspirational Alfresco ideas on a budget for different styles to extend the indoor interior to the exterior space.
What Is Alfresco Living Space?
Alfresco, meaning “in the fresh air”, is an extension of the indoor living area decor. Alfresco is under the main roof of the home. Unlike patios, decks, balconies or porches, it is a structure fixed to the house as an extension. Alfresco displays a seamless flow of the home interior to the outer space.
Points To Consider To Build An Alfresco Ideas On A Budget
Alfresco ideas on a budget is a great way to add curb appeal to the outdoor area to transform it into the most sought-after place to unwind and gather beautiful memories. However, you should bear a few things before concluding on alfresco designs.
Connection between outdoor and indoor area
- Proper selection of doors ensures a seamless flow between the outdoor and indoor areas. A fully retractable glass door or a sliding door minimises the fence between indoor and outdoor spaces.
- To feel like the alfresco is an extension of the indoor style, keep the floor height the same as indoor.
- Build backyards so that it can be used in all weather conditions around the year.
- Install shutters for protection from rain and wind.
- A firepit is a good idea to fight colder climates.
- Hang a ceiling fan to beat the heat during summer.
- A proper shade cover is essential for the Australian climate. Grow creepers over the pergola for natural shading.
- Extend the awning using timber battening.
Size of space
- Make the best use of the available space to create an alfresco.
- Alfresco meant for entertainment purposes should be large enough to accommodate tables and chairs.
- For an outdoor kitchen or BBQ, additional space is required between the sitting and cooking areas.
- Kitchen appliances can be selected based on their usage. For example, a sink is necessary if all the preparation is done outside and vice-versa.
Element of lighting
- The lighting element is essential to display the perfect style of the outdoor area design.
- Arrange for multiple lighting options to create a soothing ambience.
- Dim LED light is a good option for food preparation.
- To create calm surroundings, the downlight is a perfect choice.
- Decoration should reflect your styling creativity.
- Paint the outdoors in a different shade than the indoors.
- For a perfect blend of indoor and outdoor space, try natural materials such as stones and timber.
- Place furniture in the outdoor area that can withstand extreme weather conditions.
- Furniture should reflect your elegant choice while serving functionality hand-in-hand.
- Set up the budget.
- Consider all the possible expenses involved in the process, such as material cost, labour, or any local permit.
- Keep some amount for unexpected expenses that might occur during the project.
Benefits Of Alfresco Spaces
Many of you would agree that you must have spent more outdoor time as an adult than during your childhood days. In the post-pandemic period, the craving to spend time outdoors has added as the pandemic forcefully taught all to be at home and relax outdoors. Opting for alfresco ideas on a budget in the outdoor homes gives you an ease to relax in a comfortable and private space.
Enjoy the summer season
The onset of summer gives an opportunity to spend time outdoors with friends and family. Call them over dinner and BBQ. With alfresco ideas on a budget, you can create additional dining living space to accommodate more guests at an affordable price. Gather fond memories to cherish forever within the home!
Boosts immunity and good health
Unwinding outdoors and relaxing boosts immunity and ensures good health. Alfresco decorating ideas in the backyard space help you manage your stress level, and fresh air and sunlight keep you mentally and physically sound.
Alfresco ideas on a budget designs create extra living, kitchen, kids area and dining space in the backyard area for frequent get-togethers with your near and dear ones.
Creative Outdoor Decor Ideas
Create luxurious alfresco in a small outdoor area
Don’t worry if you have a small backyard. You can create a dreamy, luxurious alfresco with limited backyard space. With a minimum budget and less maintenance, create a beautiful alfresco with proper landscaping and design.
Bring the kitchen outdoor
Elevate your homes by bringing the kitchen to the backyard to host family get-togethers and fun-filled parties. Guests find it entertaining to be with dear ones in a less crowded space.
Add flair to the flooring
Flooring plays a vital role in enhancing the visual impact. Try various textures and materials such as stones, marble, timber or tiling for your flooring. Let the indoor floor style seamlessly flow to the outdoor space.
Pool in the backyard
Make your home like a resort with a pool in the backyard, and enjoy summer. Customise the backyard according to the size to have enough space to enjoy.
Opt for bright shade fabric for outdoor space for a vibrant element. To make the patio furniture more cozy, place some colourful pillows on the sofa or chairs. All these will surely make the patio eye-catching.
Firepit in the backyard
Enjoy a bonfire with your family in the backyard around the year during pleasant weather. It is an inexpensive project that can be accomplished with DIY projects.
Landscaping with perennials
If you have a small yard, planting perennials in the flower bed is an excellent idea for landscaping. Enjoy the beauty of the flowers blooming season after season.
Low-cost fence ideas
For the high-end look of the fence, train the planted trees to grow in a fixed pattern. It’ll transform a simple wall into a visually appealing wall. Isn’t it a budget-friendly backyard idea?
Enhance the look with furniture ideas
Simply placing some colourful furniture in the yard can elevate the look. If you wish to buy all new pieces of furniture well and good, recycling the old ones too can work wonders. Spray paint the old table for a new look that is perfect for big and small yards.
Display your creativity with lights in the backyards and add a dash of romance. Wrap string lights around the trees or even centre tables for a dim glow for a soothing visual appeal. It spreads calmness all around the garden.
Vintage Alfresco decor ideas
To extend the vintage look to the patio or porch, not much investment is required. An elegant curtain made from sweeping fabric adds an element of beauty and also protects the family from extreme heat. For lighting, you can use old chandeliers with candles if the lights are not working.
Hardscaping ideas for uniqueness
Though it’s an expensive idea for the backyard, there are budget-friendly ideas, too, if you opt for leftover stones from local landscaping. Stacking stones look like it was always part of the yard.
If you want no-grass pavement, go for crushed rock and gravel for a casual surface to enjoy outdoor dining. These simple alfresco ideas on a budget is an easy way to add beauty.
Try alfresco ideas on a budget with vertical garden designs
Whether you have a big backyard or a small balcony, vertical ideas can add aesthetics to the wall without occupying the floor space. It’s ideal for a small yard or balcony with limited floor space. Try a vertical garden or decoration on the walls and witness the visual impact.
A pergola is a cheap and best option for the backyard. It can be done with easy DIY options. To complete the look, grow vines or hang some string lights.
Display woodwork skills
Try an outdoor bench with a panel and storage space beneath the seat. Place some colourful pillows on the bench and planters on either side of the bench for a beautiful look.
Create distinct zones
Make the best use of the available space by creating different zones with alfresco ideas on a budget. Allot separate areas for dining, lounging and entertainment purposes. Based on the zones, place rugs and decide the alignment of furniture for a perfect look.
Mural in the garden
If you are an artist, display your artistic talent on the plain wall with a mural. Make the wall a favourite selfie point for everyone. People will admire this alfresco ideas on a budget.
Hang flower pots
Decorate the backyard with lush green plants in hanging pots. Identify all the possible corners to grow flowers extending to the fence or porch ceiling for an appealing visual impact.
Bring the movie theatre outside
Enjoy movie night at the weekend with family and friends. All you have to do is hang a white sheet and install a projector. Make the seating arrangement cozy with comfy pillows and a blanket. Hold a glass of wine in dim candlelight and relax!
Important Points To Remember Before Buying Outdoor Furniture
Selecting the right furniture is of utmost importance because it decides the overall look of the backyard. Several factors to keep in mind before buying a piece of furniture have been mentioned in the following lines.
- Style and colour should reflect your choice
- Opt for a design that complements other items
- It should be comfortable and functional
- Buy pieces of furniture with a clear intent of whether you plan to use it for dining, casual seating or for entertainment
- Buy a durable piece to withstand all weather conditions
Budget-Friendly Furniture Choices For Alfresco Ideas On A Budget
Brands of furniture
- Coco republic
- Space furniture
- Trit house
- Cosh living
- Paola lenti
- Eco outdoor
Types of alfresco furniture ideas and other items
There are many online and offline stores to buy furniture for the backyard. Some of them are mentioned below.
- Sofa set for dining in the garden
- Bistro chair set for patio
- Dining set
- Side table
- Coffee table
- Bar table
- KItchen cabinet for outdoor kitchen
The alfresco ideas on a budget is an interesting way to display your creativity in the backyard with new materials and upcycled items. There are a bunch of ideas and styles to go for. Opt for one that reflects your preference and eye for uniqueness, creating an appealing design. Consider all the major and minor factors affecting the choice, such as the size of the yard, intent to create an alfresco, budget and many more.
What Is The Difference Between Patio And Alfresco?
Both create complementary space in the backyard; however, the difference lies in the roof structure. Alfresco is an extension of the existing roof of the building, whereas a patio is a way to create additional space by attaching a roof to the existing building.
Does An Alfresco Add Value To House?
Yes, it adds value to the house. The rental value and the selling value both go up with alfresco ideas because it creates extra living, dining or entertainment area for you and your family.
How Do You Style A Small Alfresco Area?
There are multiple alfresco ideas on a budget to style the exterior area. For small alfresco, try different furniture, hanging pots, vertical gardens, string lights, multipurpose furniture, raised garden beds and many more. All these will help you create a beautiful small alfresco in the yard.
How Much Does It Cost To Build An Alfresco?
The cost ranges between $10000 to $50000 depending on the size of the backyard, the material used and the decor items selected.